If we examined a group of people, a subset of society, and discovered that the group shared the following characteristics, would you call that group “advantaged” or “disadvantaged”? Would you call this group the “oppressor” or the “oppressed”?
- make up 85% of the homeless
- are statistically most likely to perish from any one of the major illnesses that kill in the world
- are substantially more likely to be charged with a crime, given exactly the same set of circumstances, when compared to the general populace
- when charged with a crime, are substantially more likely to be convicted
- when convicted of a crime, are substantially more likely to receive a stiffer sentence, and thousands of times more likely to receive the death penalty
- once sentenced for a crime, are substantially less likely to receive early release
- drop out of school far more frequently
- commit suicide more frequently
- go to college and graduate studies less frequently
- make up 90% of the people who die in work-related injuries, and the overwhelming majority of those who do not die in work-related illness or injury
- lose access to their children more frequently in divorce
- get access to their homes less frequently in divorce
- make up 90% or more of those working the most dirty and dangerous jobs of society
- pay more of the taxes while simultaneously collecting less of the benefits
- can be involuntarily conscripted into armed service
- are more likely to die in war
- are not protected against genital mutilation, while the rest of society is
Who is this group?
Is it African Americans?
Some other minority?
Nope. It is men. Just ordinary men. Not of any particular race, religion or cultural history. Just men.